Tuesday, January 31, 2017

There's always a next big hi/low

No, in this post I'm not going to be talking about Omaha hi/lo (AKA my favorite MTT format) - I'll be talking about results and emotions...

Every aspect of life has its highs and lows:
Health
Relationships
Emotions
Financial situation
Success @ work
Etc...

Not everyone handles the above the same way - but when you play a high variance game for a living, you have to be very strong at keeping your emotions to the minimum possible, when you reach a new extreme point (both hi/lo).
I had my fair share by now on both of the above, including some recent events. I can't say I'm the best at handling either, but I def improved a lot over the years:
When I make a lot, I try to use/save at least some chunk (unlike the past, when I was mostly trying to leverage). When I lose/miss out on a lot, I normally wake up the next day ready to continue/fight again (so not keeping myself in a bad spirit for more than 24h).
Still, I feel I need to do more "self-work', to be able to separate my job results from my life emotions, and that should be done by (even) better BRM and more experience and hard work overall.

Tomorrow I might lose a bigger pot than ever before, and I have to be ready for it.
Tomorrow I might win (or a horse of mine might win) a bigger tournament than ever before, and I have to be ready for it.
But most important is that I'll keep doing my job the day after tomorrow... Same as my own Staker/Boss does (who can win/lose a shit load of money on a Sunday night, then snap wake up at 6AM on Monday after almost no sleep at all, and keep working with his horses on their games, so they can improve and he can make even more).

The *long term* will be our judge.

3 comments: